Some of us are going through Sketches from Church History by S M Houghton one small chapter at a time. (By the way, the book has pictures.) Aiding us in this study is the work book by Rebecca Frawley. Both are Banner of Truth books.
Now we are at
Chapter 2 The Martyrs
Some keywords/names to remember/key ideas from this chapter are:
- Apostles (most if not all were martyred)
- Apostolic Fathers (came just after the time of the apostles)
- Hermas, an apostolic father, wrote ‘The Shepherd’, temed as The Pilgrim’s Progress of the early church
- Ignatius of Antioch, an apostolic father, condemned to the lions in the amphitheatre at Rome by Emperor Trajan
- Polycarp of Smyrna, another apostolic father, bishop of Smyrna was torched
- Blandina, a slave girl in Southern France was martyred
- Vivia Perpetua, a young mother in Carthage in North Africa was martyred
- Cyprian of Carthage, a notable teacher of rhetoric was martyred at the hands of pro-consul Galerius
- The Catacombs near Rome where early Christians hid and worshipped still have inscriptions, paintings and symbols from that period
- One historian wrote: The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church.