Dear Young People,
Throughout the first chapter of Genesis, God looked at various things that he had made and said that it was good.
- In Gen 1:4 what was good according to God? _________________
- What did God say was good in Gen 1:10? _____________ and ____________
- What did God pronounce good in Gen 1:12? _________________
- In Gen 1:18 God looked at somethings that he had created and said that it was good. What were these? _____________, ___________, and ___________
- What kind of creatures did God describe as good in Gen 1:21? ___________________ and ______________
- What kind of creatures did God describe as good in Gen 1:25? ________________and ___________________
Something Not Good
God created human beings on the sixth day. In the first chapter of Genesis, this is just briefly mentioned. In chapter two, we have a clearer account of how human beings were created. From Gen 2:18, we understand that when God had created man and had not yet created woman, God felt that something was NOT GOOD. Look at Gen 2:18 and answer the following.
- What did God say was NOT GOOD? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
- What was the solution God had planned for this problem? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Then God brought different animals to Adam to see Adam’s reaction. Adam gave names to all the animals but there was no animal that could be a companion to him.
Something Very Good
Then God performed the first recorded surgery on man. He caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam. When he slept, He took one of Adam’s ribs and closed up the opening with flesh. With that rib, God made a woman. Then like God had brought the other animals to Adam, He took the woman to him. Adam’s reaction was totally different. He broke into the first love poem in the history of the world.
This is what he said:
“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man.”
What did God think of all His creation now (Gen 1:31)?
Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was _________ __________.
In this lesson, we learned how God instituted marriage and how the first marriage took place. In the coming issues, we will be looking at other aspects of marriage.
(Nahomi Dhinakar; Published in Youth Column of Dhyanamlar Jul 2004) Click here for other Youth Column articles